Print It ~ Stitch It
Explore the fun of surface design with wooden block printing and Thermofax screen printing. In addition to basic pattern theory you will learn which paints to use for which projects. In the morning, we will have lots of fun with pattern play and experiment with layering while we create unique fabrics and papers. In the afternoon all those wonderful bits will be collaged together to create a small Art Quilt. You can machine or hand stitch or do a little of both.
Materials Fee: $20 Includes:
· 1yard of fabric to practice printing on
· Wood printing blocks and thermofax screens for use in class
· MistyFuse Sheer Paperless fusible web
· Black and white print fabrics
Supplies to bring
· Solid fabrics in your favorite colors as well as mottled fabrics that read as solid. White and black prints add a fun punch if you have them. You don’t need a lot and we can share so no more than grocery bag full.
· Hand sewing needles if you want to hand stitch-Chenille preferred
· Thread: Cotton-medium and/or heavy weight to coordinate with your fabrics.
We have Bernina 350 series sewing machines for use in class so you don't need to bring yours. However, if you prefer to bring your own machine please make sure it is in good working order with all necessary cords and accessories. Including a free motion foot, size 90 embroidery needle.
Number of hours for class: 6 hrs
Max number of students: 8
Class Level: Fascination
Instructor: Liz Kettle
Bio: I have been intrigued with stitching since I was a child. I have never lost the feeling that something magical happens when you combine fabric and stitch. There are just so many possibilities….will this fabric want to be a bag, a journal cover, or a skirt or become part of a special story in collage? Fabric is such a malleable material. It can be draped, sculpted, textured or smooth. Stitching is so incredibly satisfying….why would anyone not sew?